The new year is always a great time to discuss career and business goals. However, you need to be SMART about your goals. Below are several tips to help you intentionally set SMART goals for your business in 2022.
What Are SMART Goals?
SMART goals refer to an acronym to describe how you should set about targeting goals. Your goals should be SMART:
- Specific: Being clear and precise about what your goals are will help you draw up a map to help get you there.
- Measurable: Any goal you set needs to be able to be measured so that you can determine success.
- Attainable: It is good to set your sights high, but be sure your goals are actually attainable.
- Relevant: Be sure the goals you are setting are relevant to your long-term plans. You don’t want to spend time on something that won’t further your bottom line.
- Time-bound: You need to set a deadline on which to meet your goals. Without this, it is hard to hold anyone responsible for any tasks or project milestones.
Now that you know what SMART goals are, how can you use them for your business?
Use the Acronym as a Guide
The SMART acronym should serve as a guide for you when setting goals for the new year. While you do this, provide as many details as possible for each letter. Be as specific as you possibly can with each SMART step.
Break It Down
You will be more successful in reaching your goals if you break them down into smaller, more attainable tasks. Each of these tasks will be a stepping stone in reaching your long-term business goals. If you don’t have a clear end goal and the steps to get there outlined, it will be nearly impossible to be successful.
Be Strict With Deadlines
Set deadlines and be strict with them. If you don’t meet your deadlines, you will just push meeting your goals further down the line. When setting a deadline, make sure you are being reasonable. Don’t set a deadline of one week for a project that will take a month. You should also consider how long it will take you to reach your end goals.
Make an Action Plan
Once you have deadlines and goals mapped out, make a plan of action. This plan should outline everything your company will need to reach its goals, both short and long-term. Be sure to include a timeline for everything you are planning to keep yourself on track.
Come up with a way that you will monitor progress on reaching your goals. What metrics will you track? How will you determine a project to be a success? If you come short of meeting your goals, review your process and determine why that happened.
We Can Help You With Your Hiring Needs
If one of your new year’s resolutions for your company is to establish a better hiring strategy, contact Top Notch Personnel. Our recruiters will be glad to assist you with all of your hiring needs.